Today is election day. A new president will be elected. And no matter who wins, Wednesday morning will come. Some of us will be jubilant and others will be distressed.
Whether our candidate won or lost we still have the ability to positively or negatively impact our community with our small bit. I’d like to challenge each of us to do our best to elevate conversations as we go about our days.
How to elevate conversations
Make a list of at least 5 intentions – write them down and read them every morning or evening. Here are a few ideas…
- I intend to treat others the way I want to be treated.
- I intend to encourage others and to seek to understand rather than attempt to make my point.
- I intend to step back from anger, hatred and fear and step into compassion, connectedness and peace.
- I intend to refrain from judgment, from criticism and attempts to change anyone other than myself.
- I intend to do my part to be respectful in all conversation especially when in disagreement.
- I intend to choose words wisely and to eliminate harshness from my communications, including my self-talk.
- I intend to keep in mind my desire to leave others feeling valued when we have concluded our time together whether it be a minute or longer.
Join me in creating a more peaceful, respectful community. Our children really are watching.